Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Dare to Dream with Sizzix


I have always had a fondness for shadow boxes... they intrigue me! As a kid, I used to save up match boxes to make little pieces of art. Then when I learned to alter items, I made little holders out of Altoid tins. I have recycled tea bag cartons to make my own shadow boxes. I have played with Tim Holtz's configuration boxes too. So, when Sizzix released Brenda Walton's Shadow Box Bigz XL die, my heart sang :)


Here are the bits and pieces I cut out of thick cardstock using Brenda Walton's Shadow Box Bigz XL die with the Big Shot machine and extended cutting pads.


Using little table scraps, I collaged the back wall of the shadow box and the curtains.
TIP: I think it's a good idea to decorate the pieces individually first and assemble later.


Next, I painted the pieces and let them dry.


With a blending tool, I inked the pieces with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink pad.


I stamped the phrase "Dare to Dream" from Tim Holtz's Simple sayings stamp set using Jet Black archival ink pad. Choose a phrase or a word that speaks to you.


Assemble the shadow box and secure with adhesive.


Diecut a small butterfly using Sizzix Bigz Die Mariposa. With pencil, sketch some details. Paint the butterfly. Add details with pens and markers.


Once the butterfly is ready, attach it inside the shadowbox using pop dots stacked together to create dimension.

With this die, the possibilities are truly endless!

1 comment:

marc said...

What a wonderful i hope that you do dare to dream and all those little work of art love your choice of words and love the fact you drew detail on your butter fly as you said you are only limited by your imagination to were you can take this diy i hope you do dare to dream and all those dreams are good and great and come knocking at your door keep making your art its fab big love marc