Thursday, August 31, 2017

Book Review: Understanding Color in Photography


The cover photo had me before I even turned the first page of Understanding Color in Photography by Bryan Peterson with Susana Heide Schellenberg! I have read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure before and knew this book too will show me to look at color in photography differently. Whether it's the corrugated metal wall on pages 24-25, or the fishes on p. 33 or the serene seascape on p. 103, I just can't stop looking at the photos! There are not only technical tips to improve your color composition but also the nudge to take a look at everyday things with fresh eyes. For instance, on page 65, the author talks about looking at a flowering window box as a potential out-of-focus color. He urges the photographer to look at not the objects but the line, texture,  shape, form, pattern, and color. With comparison shots throughout the book accompanied by the author's explanations of what he changed to create the different effects, this book is going to a wonderful addition to any photographer's reference collection.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
 

No comments: