"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Art Journaling Tutorial: Using die-cuts


Can you picture a brick paved town square surrounded by pretty houses with balconies, boutique stores, public art, old trees, and pigeons hopping around, pecking? Last year when we visited Boston, Bar Harbor in Maine and later, San Francisco, we saw a few such places and I loved them all. I knew that at some point, those visuals will make it into my art journal. So, here is a spread inspired by those trips. Follow along if you would like to see how I created this spread!


Here's a list of supplies I used:
Other materials used:
  • Acrylic paints
  • Cardstock
  • Gelatos
  • Gel Medium
  • Paint brush
  • Paper clip
  • Pen
  • Scissors
 Let's get started.


To diecut the Suburbia pieces, create the following Sizzix Sandwich: on a Sizzix Accessory Magnetic Platform For Wafer-Thin Dies, lay another Sizzix Accessory Standard Cutting Pad. On it, lay out your favorite dies from the Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 34PK - Cityscape, Suburbia set blade side up. Place paper on it and cover with the other Standard Cutting Pad. Pass the whole Sizzix Sandwich through the Sizzix Big Shot machine.

Repeat the exact same sandwich technique with Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 27PK - Traveler Words, Thin. I chose the word 'Found'. 

To diecut the industrial pieces, create the following Sizzix Sandwich: on the Standard Cutting pad, lay the Sizzix Bigz L Die - Industrial, blade side up, place paper on it and cover with another Standard Cutting Pad. Pass the whole Sizzix Sandwich through the Sizzix Big Shot machine.



Here, I'm going to take a step back. The mini art journal you see above is really a tag book that I created a while ago using Sizzix Framelits Die Set 8PK - Tag Collection. If you want to create one for yourself, create the same Sizzix sandwich that I used to die-cut the pieces of Suburbia above. I used six tags. You could use a few more or less. I stacked the tags and stitched down the center. Then folded them half to make my mini journal. The small size makes it super easy to carry around if you are into art on the go.

Paint the page spread with acrylic paints and Gelatos. Let dry.


Attach the die-cut Suburbia pieces to the book with gel medium.
Doodle around the die-cuts to create a scene.


Attach the Industrial and Traveler Word die-cuts. Add details and more doodles to connect all the pieces together.


Here's a close-up of my spread.

I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. Leave a comment to let me know!
Note: I am a project designer for Sizzix. Sizzix provided me with the above dies to create the above project. If you click the links to buy these dies, I will earn an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. Use the code SZB2015 at checkout. You get 15% off and I get an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. It's win-win!  

No comments: