"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

So Grateful!


OMG... where did the year go? we are in the 11th month of 2016 already!!! Another year has gone by, we are all a year older and hopefully a little bit wiser. I get somewhat nostalgic as I start to analyze the experiences of the year that will end soon and I begin to realize yet again how much there is to be grateful for each and every day... even the most-terrible-horrible-no-good days. What I feel in my heart guides my art. One word that is on my mind these days is gratitude. This canvas is a reflection of that feeling. 


I created this canvas with some unlikely ingredients. The Sizzix dies you see above were originally designed to create jewelry, cuffs and bracelets to be specific. They are beautiful dies and even though I'm not a jewelry artist, I wanted to put them to more versatile use on a mixed media canvas. If you want to create this canvas, follow along with the tutorial.

These are the dies I used: Sizzix Thinlits Die - Southwestern Pattern and Sizzix Thinlits Die - Celtic Knots by Jill McCay


and Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic Die w/Thinlits - Geo Bracelet Cuff by Katelyn Lizardi.



To diecut the above pieces, create the following Sizzix sandwich: on a Sizzix Accessory Standard Magnetic Platform For Wafer-Thin dies, lay another Sizzix Accessory Standard Cutting Pad. Place
Sizzix Thinlits Die - Southwestern Pattern blade-side up on the cutting pad and lay your cardstock on it. Cover it with the other Standard Cutting Pad and pass the whole sandwich through the Sizzix Big Shot machine.

Repeat the exact same sandwich to die-cut the pieces using
Sizzix Thinlits Die - Celtic Knots and Sizzix Thinlits Die - Geo Bracelet Cuff .


Start attaching various widths of washi tapes to your canvas.


Layer the die-cuts from above with Gel Medium. Add interest by tearing the diecuts apart and using them in multiple spots on the canvas.


Apply a coat of gesso to unify all the colors and patterns.
  

Rub some warm colors of Gelatos in the center of the canvas. Add water to blend.


Add some purples and blues to the mix. But be carefully not to blend oranges and dark blues together to avoid creating browns.


Once you are happy with the background colors, add a little interest with stamping.


Now, it's time to add your focal point. I wanted to keep the focus on the rich texture and beautiful colors of the piece, so I chose a single powerful word 'Grateful'.


Here's a close-up of the canvas.

Supplies:
Sizzix Thinlits Die - Southwestern Pattern 
Sizzix Thinlits Die - Celtic Knots


Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic Die w/Thinlits - Geo Bracelet Cuff 


Note: I am a project designer for Sizzix. Sizzix provided me with the above dies to create the above project. If you click the links to buy these dies, I will earn an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. Use the code SZB2015 at checkout. You get 15% off and I get an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. It's win-win! 


2 comments:

Joi at RR said...

Truly GORGEOUS Mou - really love the brilliant colors and designs. I totally agree - even with challenges - we have so much to be grateful for. Your creativity is a FAB way to show it! Xj.

Mou Saha said...

Thanks Joi :)