Monday, September 19, 2016

Under The Tuscan Sun


This was my first time reading Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes although I have heard about it for a long time. I have also read many mixed reviews over the years. Some people loved it and some didn't. I knew I had to read it to see how I felt. 
As the author herself says in her twentieth anniversary afterword, 'How to sustain a book that has no tense plot, an unforeseeable resolution, and not even an "I survived" motif? Well, I thought, let's just go a little against the grain. I quit worrying about conflict/resolution and character development requirements. I'll try, I told myself, simply to re-create this place in tactile, evocative words. The writing was spontaneous.' 
So if you enjoy poetic sensory eloquence, you'll love this memoir of an American woman buying and renovating an old villa in Tuscany and how she weaved herself into the layers of the local culture and cuisine.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments: