"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

"Farm Fresh" Printable Coloring Book

"Farm Fresh" Printable Coloring Book

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Declutter and Re-organize, continued


Have you ever seen one of those vintage cantilever sewing boxes? I once saw one in a consignment shop. You could almost picture a lady in gown keeping her embroidery needles, thimbles and threads in the rosy velvet lined drawers. I regretted passing it up at the time and not having found another one since. It's no surprise that from the moment I saw Eileen Hull's Cantilever Sewing Box die from Sizzix, I knew I had to have it. Have to admit, it was NOT easy waiting to get my Cantilever die! 

After assembling all the parts, I decided to decorate it with bright colors and folk artsy flowers and vines. My goal was to make a cheerful catch all for paper clips, eraser caps, etc. that would sit on my desk.

Let me show you how to put this little beauty together.


Start by diecutting the pieces of the Cantilever Sewing Box. Create a Sizzix sandwich by placing the Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Box, Cantilever Sewing Box blade side up on a Sizzix Accessory Cutting Pad - Extended. Lay a Sizzix Little Sizzles - 6" x 13" Mat Board White or Cream Sheet on the blade side of the Cantilever Sewing Box die and cover with a Sizzix Accessory - Premium Crease Pad, Extended. Pass the whole sandwich through the Sizzix Big Shot machine.


You'll need to diecut 6 drawers, 2 lids, 2 feet, 4 big and 8 small hinges. 


Before assembling the Cantilever Sewing Box, gather the following: hot glue gun, glue sticks, rubber bands (to use as clamps while the glue dries) and small brads (28 plus a few because some always manage to escape!)


You could refer to the box insert for assembly instruction or refer to this PDF file. Or just follow along with me.

Fold along the crease lines of the die-cut Cantilever pieces. 


Be sure to read the Hot Glue Gun Safety Instructions. Plug in the glue gun to heat up for about five minutes before you start. Run a thin line of hot glue between facing folded edges. Press the edges together. Do this for all four edges and then slide a rubber band in to hold the shape while the hot glue bonds the pieces together. Repeat with all six drawers.


Before attaching the feet to the bottom set of drawers (any two really), you could cut out a piece of Mat board with scissors to attach the bottom drawers on. This will keep the drawers from sagging in around the center when assembled. I skipped this step and just attached the feet toward the outer edge of the bottom drawers.


Next, attach the lids to the top two drawers (again, any two will do). 

You could wait to attach the lids last, but I wanted to put away my hot glue gun asap, so I did this step early.


Remove the rubber band clamps from the drawers. Start attaching the hinges with brads after lining them up along the holes on the sides of the drawers. 

Attach the two sides of the Cantilever with some glue and clamp the drawers together with clips as shown.


This is what the assembled Cantilever looks like. It's amazingly fun to watch the little parts move to reveal the drawers!


Now, to decorate! Start by painting the parts with acrylic paints of your choice. The Mat Board takes paints really nicely.


Paint your designs as shown.

You can also use patterned papers or fabric to decorate, but I love to pick up my paint brushes and give it a go any chance I get :)

Supplies:
Others: Hot glue gun, glue sticks, rubber bands, paper clips, brads, acrylic paints, paint brushes


Note: I am a project designer for Sizzix. Sizzix provided me with the above dies to create the above project. If you click the links to buy these dies, I will earn an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. Use the code SZB2015 at checkout. You get 15% off and I get an itsy bitsy portion of the sale. It's win-win!

No comments: