"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy

Friday, December 04, 2015

Creative Holiday Project Idea # 5

December is here and I’m SO EXCITED to be sharing with YOU my project ideas for the Holidays. Welcome to Day 4! If you like the project ideas, share them with others who like such things. You are welcome to pin, tweet, share on Facebook, Instagram or wherever you hang out and you can do it right from here :)


Today's project is actually a page from my Holidays Memory Journal this year. I started with putting up our Christmas tree right after Thanksgiving day. I wrote about how we used to have an artificial pre-lit Christmas tree that we threw away when we moved this summer. Then we saw people lining up outside our local farms to cut their own Christmas trees and we wanted to get a real tree for the first time and why we decided against it. Finally, we got another artificial tree from Lowe's and my son hung scented pine sticks on it to make it smell more like a real tree. I hope you are recording the smaller details of your holiday preparation as well because that's what this really truly is all about - the stories!
I started with the Painterly Christmas Memory Journal Kit 2015. The 9" x 6" water-colored sheets provide the bases for my journal pages. I cut up a couple of the variety fabric pieces and made them into page tabs. They add color and texture. I am also adding bits and pieces of papers and such from my mixed media art stash - these are just papers on which I try things out and the layers evolve organically, such as the big tag above. The bird, the ornament, and the song lyrics are from the 12 Days of Christmas KIt.
Since we all love stories, I want to share one of mine here as it relates to my process of putting this kit together. I have been a scrapbooker for 10 years now. In these years, I have designed and taught workshops for many paper-crafting publications and manufacturers  and came across fellow artists and students from whom I learned a lot about life and it's challenges in general as well as it relates to this craft of memory keeping.

Some of  Your Challenges (in your words):

  1. I have health issues. With arthritis or carpal tunnel, holding scissors is painful for me. I could never fussy cut designs out.
  2. I am not tech savvy. I don't know how to work those fancy electronic die-cutters and cut files.
  3. These tools are expensive and I don't know if I can fit that in my budget.
  4. I don't have the time to coordinate all the things to create something artistic.
I can relate to each one of these pains. 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with Glomus Tumor in my right pointer finger and I had to retrain myself to hold writing tools differently to shift pressure away from the tumor's location to be able to write again. Technology: let's just say I often struggle to keep up. When I get too caught up in buying and storing the latest and the greatest, I end up cutting down my creative time. Time - it's precious. I too wish for more hours in a day that I can devote to making art.

My Solution (that is if these are YOUR challenges too): I illustrated, hand painted and brush-lettered Christmas icons and words and cut them out for you. There are over 100 pieces in the Main Kit and 40 pieces in the Add-on Kit that come ready for you to design with. Even if you don't have a fancy color printer or an electronic die-cutter or too much time, you can still create a beautiful Christmas journal with this kit. I have done the leg work for you and now you let your creativity take over.

A memory journal is not the only thing you can make with this kit! Follow along to see the different ways these kits can help you create a handmade look for the holidays. Stay tuned for more creative ideas!

No comments: