"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Gratitude for Personal Wins, Big or Small

Hello you! So glad you made time to visit me today! 


It's November. Another year is coming to fruition. Looking back and feeling grateful for all that went well, those that didn't go so well but could have been worse, seeing growth that came out of failures, the promises of success that might be around the corner... gratitude is in the air.


As you are looking back at your year, you probably can tell every little thing your loved ones achieved this year. You may even remember the exact dates of those successes. You can recall almost all the details. How can you not? To you, these people and their successes are so important. You are invested in them. I can totally identify with you there!

But I want to ask you this: do you remember any of your own personal wins? 


This could be anything... really. 

Did you finally perfect that recipe you have been trying for a while? Did you finally figure out how to not kill every African Violet you ever planted? Did you finish that DIY home decor project you wanted to tackle from the moment you saw it on Pinterest? 

And your win could be in a different area too... maybe at your job where you were the driving force behind a killer presentation, or at your school where the parents were blown away when your students performed, or that one idea you came up with that made a fundraiser a huge success... the wins that you always credit others for and discount your role in it? 

I want you to think of one such win that you know in your heart is truly yours!

I grew up in a family and society and overall culture where drawing attention to your personal successes was considered impolite. Even as an adult, raising my own kids in a foreign culture, I haven't outgrown that message. I have painfully internalized that in a conversation, it's not modest to talk about what I am good at. 

But how can I teach my children to celebrate their successes if I never recognize my own wins because we all know that actions do speak louder than words!  

That would make me a hypocrite and I don't want to feel like that. And if you struggle with this, I don't want you to feel like that either. So, I'll share a personal win with you today.

One year ago, around this time of year, this little old blog of mine was featured in Artful Blogging magazine's Winter 2014 issue!



This was totally unexpected. When I created this blog, I had no particular goal in mind. I kept writing it over time because it became my place to share things I make. I made some lovely friends through this blog and that kept me going. I have always been social media shy. So, this blog is my online home. I was surprised when I got an email from the Editor of Artful Blogging asking me to write an article about my blog story. 

I didn't know where to start! Especially, if it's something I really admire, I find myself wondering if I'm good enough to be part of it.   

Eventually, I made peace with myself that there must be a niche in the wonderful word of blogging even for me and responded to that email.


I am so glad that I did. To me, it's a BIG personal win. You know, it is important to recognize your wins, even if it makes you slightly uncomfortable. 


So, it's YOUR turn now! What personal win will you share with the world? I KNOW you have a ton to choose from! Leave a comment, link me up even if you want to shy away and run for cover... Let's celebrate our wins together!

4 comments:

Rebecca Ednie said...

Congrats! I recently made my first commissioned jewelry! A hair piece for a wedding. I was happy to finally be a pro jewelry designer!

Mou Saha said...

Yay Rebecca! That is HUGE... someone trusting you to create a special piece on their big day is totally cool! I'm so glad you shared this with me. Thank you :)

Joi at RR said...

Loved reading this Mou. What an honor to be featured in the magazine. I enjoy following your blog very much. You are right - it is good to share our successes but it is so true that for many of us it is difficult. Like now... I am having a hard time sharing anything!!!! Let's just say... I have been very thankful for a few personal wins this year and I am actually allowing myself to "dream" of a few more!!! j.

Mou Saha said...

Oh Joi, this won't do! You have to share at least one of them :) I'll look forward to hearing from you!