"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Inspired by Autumn: A Series in Art Making, Week 3: A Homemade Handcrafted Fall Garland

Are you looking for inspiration for seasonal DIY projects? Then you are in the right place!
 
Welcome to Week 3 of my Inspired by Autumn mini Blog series!
 

If this is your first time here, let me tell you a little bit about what this series is about.
 
Autumn is my most favorite time of the year. Right now, nature is at its best in my eyes and that is inspiring my creativity! I'm sketching, art journaling, scrapbooking... you can take a peek into my Instagram to see my daily musings. In order to live this beautiful season to the fullest, I wanted to share some of my favorite fall projects, new and old, along with brief how-tos here on my blog every Thursday this October.
 
You can also read my Week 1 and Week 2 posts to learn more.
 
You are most welcome to take inspiration from these projects. But don't feel limited by any product choices that I made here. I hope you'll stop by on Thursdays this month to see some inspired projects from me. Feel free to ask if you have questions for me. And if you too are inspired to create by autumn, please leave link(s) to your favorite fall-inspired creations in the comment section! Such things are better shared, right?


 

People tell me that my joy of watching falling leaves will wear off when I will have to rake them! They speak from experience, I'm sure.
 
But for now, I am enamored by the colors of these swirling beauties all around me!
 
The rest of my family, including my kids, shake their heads at my childlike wonder. I can't help my joy of watching and feeling autumn all around me! I have lost count of the leaves I have picked up and slid between the pages of my kids' old workbooks. So much grandeur. So much splendor. How can my heart be not filled with wonder!
 
When something makes you feel this way, it HAS to inspire everything you love doing... whether you bake, sew or craft like me. The leaves inspired me to create a simple home d├ęcor project: a leaf garland. 
 
When we moved into our new home, we inherited some window treatments. Not my aesthetic, but creating window treatments for these windows is a bit tricky and not really in my skill set. So, for now, I'm getting by with adding personal touches wherever and whenever I can. When I am surrounded by gorgeous fall colors, I had to bring some of that into our living space.

 
I colored some mixed media papers (mine are by Canson, you can buy them by the pad at Michaels) with Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Gelatos colors. By coloring, I mean rubbing a decent amount of Gelatos on the paper and blending and spreading with a wet brush. I did this on both front and back, keeping in mind that a garland is not static and the leaves will turn and when they do, we don't to see a blank surface.
 
Once the colors dried, I stamped on it with a scripty stamp. Also, splattered some inks on each page just to make it a bit more fun!

 
I started with 9" x 12" papers. I cut them in halves and diecut some fall leaves out of it. I used Sizzix Bigz L die Leaves by Brenda Walton for this along with Sizzix Big Shot machine and Sizzix Accessory Standard Cutting Pads. You can totally handcut leaves like we all did in kindergarten.

 
Next, I laid out the leaves varying their colors and shapes and machine stitched them together. It helps to sew at the lowest speed setting of your sewing machine.

 
I left enough thread free at the beginning and end to be able to tie the garland to the spot. 


 
They add fun and color to the interior especially on those grey, rainy and chilly days.
 
I am probably not the only one who loves autumn leaves this much. Are you like me? What do you do with those leaves?

4 comments:

cathy said...

Love love love the colors - great idea

Mou Saha said...

Cathy, thanks so much for your comment! I'm so happy that you like the colors. Are you a fan of autumn too?

TheEclecticAbuela said...

So pretty--I, too, love Autumn!

Mou Saha said...

Thanks TheEclecticAbuela! I hope autumn is very pretty where you are ❤