"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

We are going on a trip

 
in our favorite rocket ship... I have heard that song countless number of times with my two older kids who used to love the Little Einsteins. Last summer, when I was pregnant with our third baby and restricted from air travel, we went on a RV trip within Florida visiting several state parks for almost a week. Even Brave, our toy poodle came with us. It was a memorable trip for all of us, especially my son, Om who was 8 at the time. When I saw Eileen Hull's Vintage Travel collection, I knew I'd have to have the 3-D Travel Trailer !!! Only one word comes to mind for this entire collection: ADORABLE! And here's my version of our favorite travel trailer. Let me show you how to make it.

 
For this project, you'll need:
660335 Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Travel Trailer, 3-D
657900 Sizzix Big Shot Machine Only (Powder Blue & Teal)
655267 Sizzix Accessory - Cutting Pads, Extended, 1 Pair
Others: adhesive, acrylic paints (I used Distress Paints by Ranger), paint brushes, pencil

 
To diecut the parts of the 3-D Travel Trailer, you'll need to create the following Sizzix sandwich: Lay mat board (I used white) on the blade side of the Sizzix Bigz XL 3-D Travel Trailer die. Place the pieces between a pair of Sizzix Accessory Extended Cutting Pads. Pass this Sizzix sandwich through the Sizzix Big Shot machine. This will give you the top-and-sides piece, one flexible front/back piece, one wheel and the tongue piece. To diecut the second flexible front/back piece and wheel, repeat the same procedure. I cut out big enough pieces from my mat board and placed and secured them with tape right where the die blades are for a particular shape. That way I saved some mat boards for later use.

 
Here are all the die-cut pieces that you will need to make your 3-D Travel Trailer.

 
To assemble the pieces, follow the steps described in this PDF file. The assembled trailer looks like this and is now ready for you to embellish as you like. I decided to paint the details on mine.

 
I sketched the details with pencil. You can use patterned papers.

 
I colored the body -- sides, front, back, part of the wheel, and the tongue of the Travel Trailer with Mowed Lawn Distress Paint.

 
I added details with Black Soot, Walnut Stain and Weathered Wood Distress Paints.

 
Here's my finished Travel Trailer.

 
And here's my son, Om with the trailer as a souvenir of a wonderful childhood summer memory!

4 comments:

Marci said...

Darling trailer and cute son!

Marci said...

Darling trailer and cute son!

Janice said...

How fun! My family traveled cross country in a trailer when I was a child, I remember it being a great adventure.

Lisa H said...

love it!! the trailer die is indeed awesome! =)