Monday, October 06, 2014

Take the Challenge, October 2014 at Design Memory Craft blog

Hi everyone, Mou here and welcome to the tenth Take The Challenge of 2014!
 
If you are new to this blog, let me fill you in about Take the Challenge. Every month, on the first Monday, I'll post a challenge and my take on it. You'll have 12 days to take this on. Leave a comment to the challenge post with a link to your creation based on that challenge. We will pick TWO winners from among the readers who participated in that month's challenge. And the winners will get a prize from Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft®.
 
This month, I have a theme challenge for you: Create any project about Halloween or Day of the Dead.
 
Here's my take. I used a journal board to make a seasonal d├ęcor. You don't always have to use a piece for its intended purpose.
 
 
Here's a list of supplies I used:
Here are the steps:
 
Coat a square journal board with Gesso. Let dry.

 
Pick the Gelatos that will work for your color scheme. I want to make mine colorful and not conventional Halloween colors, more like the fiesta of the Day of the Dead. 

 
Rub the Gelatos colors in a cluster like above.

 
Use a mister from the tool set to dilute the colors. Use a brush to help the colors flow a little.

 
Add more water and allow the colors to drip. Add some more colors if you wish.

 
Once the colors dry, lay a stencil over the board and apply a thin coat of Whipped Spackle with a palette knife from the tool kit.
 
 
Remove and clean up the stencil right away.

 
Color the ribbons with Gelatos and wet them for the colors to spread. It's a fun way to get ribbons in any color you want to perfectly match your project. Tie the ribbons through the holes when they dry. 
 
 
And here's a close up of my journal board.
 
Don't forget to share your challenge creations with us... just leave a comment to the challenge post with link to your project image(s) by Friday, 10/17 and we will pick TWO winners randomly to win these.
Don't forget to check back on Monday, 10/20 to see if YOU won!
Good luck to all!

3 comments:

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

here is the link to my project
since typeset does not like me

http://papertherapyponderings.blogspot.com/2014/10/halloween-mixed-media-frog.html

Barb Housner

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

Hi there- here is the link to my day of the dead creations. Thought I had until the 20th! I'll share my link anyways. http://zemphira.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-take-challenge.html