Here's a spread from one of my current art journals, using the newly released Vellum from Tim Holtz Idea-ology and Distress Paints from Ranger.
These are the pretties I'm talking about: the 12 x 12 sheet is from Wallflower vellum pad and the Nests & Eggs is a vellum diecut from the Thrift Shop pack.
I cut out the pieces I wanted to use on my page and saved the rest for later.
I'm working in an old book today. I primed my pages with gesso and then applied the following Distress paints: Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, and Tumbled Glass.
Next, I traced the leaf cut out on my page and painted the shape with Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint Distress Paints.
I did the same with the birds, coloring them in to match what was on the vellum, only brighter so those colors would peek from behind the vellum making them look more vibrant.
Using the Ranger Collage Glue Stick, I attached the vellum cutouts right on top of the painted shapes. Once they were down, I wanted to add a little texture to the leaf and so lifted it back up gently and lay it back down, pushing it around a bit to create some wrinkles. If that's not your favorite look, you can totally skip this step. You can also get rid of unwanted wrinkles by gently pushing with your fingers to get trapped air bubbles out.
I wanted to further accentuate the texture on the leaf, so I straight-stitched in and around it with needle and embroidery floss. I also painted around the birds with various shades of Distress Paint to make them stand out more.
I added another piece of vellum to the right side and painted around it.
I dipped a wet brush into Chipped Sapphire Distress Paint and flicked the paint all around the page.
I painted some flowers and leaves around the birds with Chipped Sapphire, Dried Marigold, Peeled Paint, and Tumbled Glass Distress Paints, and doodled here and there.
Finally, I wrote my journaling to finish.
Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and would play with the lovely Vellum :)