"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tim Holtz Idea-ology Wallflower Vellum in my art journal


Here's a spread from one of my current art journals, using the newly released Vellum from Tim Holtz Idea-ology and Distress Paints from Ranger.

These are the pretties I'm talking about: the 12 x 12 sheet is from Wallflower vellum pad and the Nests & Eggs is a vellum diecut from the Thrift Shop pack.


I cut out the pieces I wanted to use on my page and saved the rest for later.


I'm working in an old book today. I primed my pages with gesso and then applied the following Distress paints: Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, and Tumbled Glass.


Next, I traced the leaf cut out on my page and painted the shape with Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint Distress Paints.


I did the same with the birds, coloring them in to match what was on the vellum, only brighter so those colors would peek from behind the vellum making them look more vibrant.


Using the Ranger Collage Glue Stick, I attached the vellum cutouts right on top of the painted shapes. Once they were down, I wanted to add a little texture to the leaf and so lifted it back up gently and lay it back down, pushing it around a bit to create some wrinkles. If that's not your favorite look, you can totally skip this step. You can also get rid of unwanted wrinkles by gently pushing with your fingers to get trapped air bubbles out.


I wanted to further accentuate the texture on the leaf, so I straight-stitched in and around it with needle and embroidery floss. I also painted around the birds with various shades of Distress Paint to make them stand out more.


I added another piece of vellum to the right side and painted around it.


I dipped a wet brush into Chipped Sapphire Distress Paint and flicked the paint all around the page.


I painted some flowers and leaves around the birds with Chipped Sapphire, Dried Marigold, Peeled Paint, and Tumbled Glass Distress Paints, and doodled here and there. 


Finally, I wrote my journaling to finish.
Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and would play with the lovely Vellum :)

24 comments:

Heather Thompson said...

That is a neat journal page, I love the vellum, very cool.

Brandy said...

What a beautiful journal!

Paula Cheney said...

beautiful Mou!! love what you did with the Vellum - so creative!

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful page. Love how you used the vellum.

Rea' said...

So very beautiful ! Love the techniques you used !!
I can't wait to get this vellum !!

Joanne said...

Incredible just incredible

Julie Osborne said...

beautiful journal page

Karin said...

Beautiful journal page, I love the vellum and can't wait until I get a chance to play with it.

ricki kalp said...

What a beautiful page!!!

deborahdoh said...

Awesome love it!

Anna said...

Beautiful!!

Kathy Eddy said...

Gorgeous journal pages! I love that vellum.

toni said...

Lovely way to use the vellum in your gorgeous journal pages. Can't wait til we can get it here x

Heather B. said...

Just beautiful. Very talented artist. Love to be reminded of all the great ways to use vellum.

Nancy Zunic said...

I love your journal pages using this vellum! Beautiful job!!!!

rkramadh said...

Beautiful page, especially the one with the birds!

butterfly said...

Wow - how cool does the vellum look as part of the pages?! Lovely!
Alison x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous pages Mou

Lisa H said...

Beautiful! I like how you put more color underneath the vellum shapes to intensify them.

Noreen said...

Vellum is such a great look - and it allows your colors to show through!

Laura Strack said...

What a beautiful art journal entry! Love the vellum leaves with the wrinkles! Perfect!!

Debra said...

Beautiful pages and great technique.

Anonymous said...

love the altered book look in the journal

Penelope Q said...

very original..thank you for showing all your secrets!