"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover

"No Place Like Home" A Fresh Coloring Book for the Home Lover
This Coloring Book was featured in the TV show Make It Artsy.

"Farm Fresh" Printable Coloring Book

"Farm Fresh" Printable Coloring Book

Friday, March 29, 2013

Technique tutorial with October Afternoon

I adore quilts. In the years that I have been married, I have replaced all the comforters my husband bought before with quilts. No, I have remotely no skills to become a real quilter! So, I make up for it by quilting with paper! Here's what I mean...
















I make quilt designs with paper for my scrapbook pages and cards. It's really easy. Let me walk you through the steps.
First choose a quilt pattern. Start simple. If you are a quilter, you can easily come up with your own design. If you are not, refer to pattern books, magazines, internet, etc. For today's project, I'm doing a chevron pattern because chevron is so trendy now.
















This design would work with three different patterned papers.














I have chosen three patterned papers from the Farm Girl collection: Rose Trellis, Berry Basket, and Fresh Eggs.



















You can do many beautiful quilt designs with just squares and triangles. I'm making a 4" x 6" card. For that, you'll need:
Pattern 1: NINE 1" squares
Pattern 2: NINE 1" squares
Pattern 3: SIX 1" squares


















You can punch or diecut the squares out of these papers. If you don't have an 1" square punch/die, use your paper trimmer to cut 1" wide strips and then slice them to make 1" squares. You could do the same with a craft knife and cutting mat.


















Cut each square diagonally to get two triangles. You should end up with

Pattern 1: EIGHTEEN Triangles
Pattern 2: EIGHTEEN Triangles
Pattern 3: TWELVE Triangles


















From this point, it's just like painting by numbers! Follow the pattern and glue the triangles in place.

















To create a more authentic feel, stitch around the edges.


















Add a few elements and the sentiment to finish the card.


















Hope you enjoyed today's technique tutorial and will give quilting with paper a try!

No comments: