Wednesday, March 03, 2010

It's Official

I am a gypsy :)


I did this project with the newest 7 Gypsies goodies that were VERY generously sent to me by Paula Cheney and Debbie Crouse. But the story started a little while back...

When I started scrapping, I did not know of any local scrapbook stores. I bought 19x25 Art papers at Michaels and struggled to cut them down to 8.5x11 sheets... yes, I lived under a rock and did not know anything about anything. I had no patterned papers other than stationery type stuff sold at Mike's back then.
The stickers I saw didn't quite sail my boat and I started buying home decor stencils and stamps and decoupage stuff that are typically available at a small Michaels with Wilton all over the place. I used silk flowers I separated from their stems and paint was my friend. I found a Fiskars trimmer and four decorative scissors at Sam's club and started out scrapping. One day at Michaels, I participated in a make & take and I was offered a scrapbook instructor's job at the store. 25% discount on all purchases every time in addition to pay seemed like my ticket to the Heaven.

A few months later, I met a girl called Cami who had just moved into the neighborhood and was an avid scrapbooker. We became friends and she opened my eyes to the real world of scrapbooking. She took me to Ruban Rouge, about an hour away from our neighborhood and that day we both spent beyond what we could afford...that was the first time I saw 7 Gypsies goodness with my own two mortal eyes!!!

I searched and searched the web for more of gypsy goodness and began to dream to connect with the 7 Gypsies some day in some small way. When I went to shows, I just stood near their booth in silent admiration. I mentioned this to my friend, Heidi Sonboul one day and she said I need to go talk to them...ummm, NO, I said! Not that I didn't want to, but I doubted if I ever could do that. At CHA-Winter, I stood and admired the Gypsy booth again trying hard not to draw attention to myself, when Heidi stepped in and talked me up. I was embarrassed and blushed and just wanted to become invisible by some magical power.

Then Paula spoke. She knew my work. It got easier from that point. After the show, I emailed them and they asked me if I would like to do a Guest Design slot for their blog... I said, "Yes, a thousand times, YES!"

Paula and Debbie sent me two boxes filled to the brim with stuff that I only saw in my dreams. Paula even included six batteries for the Binderie Punch she sent. I was touched deeply.

I put my heart and soul into the stacked accordion that was my first assignment. I submitted it on Sunday. Debbie asked me on Monday if I wanted to join the 7 Gypsies Creative Team. On Tuesday, I said... YES!

So, THANKS Cami, Paula, Debbie and HEIDI because I could NOT have done this without you.

3 comments:

AmieeAya said...

Okay, it's me again, i feel like I'm stalking you... but congratulations! How exciting!! I can't wait to see what stuff you come up with!!

Kim J said...

Congrats on the design team spot, Mou! You are going to rock 7gypsies! {hugs}

Helen Tilbury said...

I loved that story - can you tell I'm catching up on your blog at last?!